Monday, March 17, 2014

How is everyone doing with their New Year's resolutions? or as I called them, "promises to myself".
I still have them on my mind but I'm not sure that I've made any headway yet. LOL
I did promise myself to not only start the blog but to keep it up - so far, success! - just for showing up . . .
I do appreciate you're writing to me also :) I'm really glad you're enjoying the blog!

I'd love for you to write in to let us know how you are doing with your own "promises" - what they were - you can remain anonymous if you'd like ;)

Now, I'd like to share a piece with you that I created. I'm always excited about my latest piece. (I'm not great at photographing miniatures :(  Does anyone else find that to be difficult?) The chair upholstery was inspired by my mother. I mentioned that she doesn't match the dining chairs. . . Here's my interpretation.








This set is available in my Etsy shop.
Http://www.MiniatureRoseGarden.etsy.com

I love when customers and friends send pictures of their dollhouse projects to me. Some are room boxes, bookcases, elaborate, simple . . . This house below belongs to Terri Quinn. She bought it 25 years ago when her boys were small - and now she has time to work on it - LOL - Sound familiar to anyone?? This house was 50 years old when Terri bought it!! So it's 75 years old now . . . What a cool way to go vintage! 




What a pretty house . . . I love what Terri has done with it and the number of rooms and the floor plan that she had to work with! I can't wait to see a close up of each room - I know how I'll do this - I'll print the picture (above) and that will give me a better/larger view of her decorating. . . an idea for the rest of you ;)

I'm doing a project in a similar vain - though not THIS vintage (I'm still amazed at the age of Terri's house!) I'm using a "dollhouse shaped" wooden bookcase from 20 years ago when my daughters were little and it held Dr. Suess books. I bought it at a craft show. A nice older gentleman had built it. I've always loved buying handcrafted pieces. It has a pink pitched roof, windows & flower boxes as well as some trompe l'oeil landscaping painted around the exterior.

I invite all of you to send in pictures - my email address is at the bottom of this post. I love to see your creativity. It will be great to post them here so we can all be impressed and inspired. 
Any pictures I've ever seen have always touched me rather deeply.  

This is my 40th year loving miniatures. I built my 1st dollhouse at 9 in my walk in closet. It wasn't a big closet but it was nice. I was able to walk in and turn to my left where there were 3 shelves which naturally were a "house in the making" in my eyes. I created a couch from a cookie box and scraps of fabric. (Luckily my mom was decorating and had these on hand) She's not a crafter so we didn't have supplies but perhaps this was lucky - it challenged my imagination. It must have been winter, since I wrapped decks of cards as gifts and made a Christmas tree from the branch of a holly bush. That's what I can remember. There was more but all that matters was that it was a beginning into the fantastic world of miniatures.

A funny aside - my mom was buying my son's baby quilt and I knew a girl whose mother sewed and was making hers. She wanted a store bought one & I wanted a handmade one - LOL. The grass is always greener. I must say, my mother may buy things instead of creating them however she has wonderful taste :)

I recently bought my first two dolls and I LOVE them! I had never found any that spoke to me - well I had found very pretty character dolls but I wanted regular people - anyway - I was enjoying one of my favorite pastimes - looking at other people's favorites on Etsy. It's always the best way to find the coolest stuff! And bang! I found my first doll and then a companion for her - I think I needed 2 dolls because I have 2 daughters so I must think that's how it should be. My girls love each other (It does a mother's heart good!) The dolls are toddlers. I can't wait to make a nursery for them! I named one Lily (she's wearing purple. . . Lily is the girl's name I was never able to use) plus Lily looks like Madeline did as a baby - turned down mouth and all LOL 

Macklemore (my daughter, Madeline, said the name and I thought it was very cool - very 21st century - Madeline couldn't believe I chose it because it turns out Macklemore is a rapper LOL - The 2 girls are LilyMack for short.


Lily and Mack were created by MinisByNana on Etsy - She makes great dolls!! Tilly is going to make customized adult dolls for me and I'm very excited about that! They will be dressed like my husband and I. She's been so kind about this request.

The teddy bears were made by FeltedbyRikke on Etsy - Rikke is wonderful also - She made the bears by special order for me since that mini size is not standard for her but she was happy to do it. She is very sweet.

I recommend both shops highly! Everything I buy is from Etsy . . .  Etsy has the best shops - the best people - the best items!! 

I received a message today from a customer who was telling me that she has thrown herself into her miniature projects - 3 dollhouses! - to escape the grief of losing her very close friend recently. She said it has been a wonderful safe haven. 
Many people including myself have turned to their love of miniatures for this same comfort and distraction from life's twists and turns. It's a healthy diversion. If you are going through a difficult time, I highly recommend taking on a miniature project. Treat yourself to a miniature that you love if you can. Reach out for help &/or escape into rewarding activities. Lose yourself in the act of painting or sewing. Believe it or not, I find cutting things out of paper with scissors to be calming. LOL Find what relaxes you and occupies your mind. No one wants to, or needs to, think about troubles too much and we all have had them.

Last thought - if you haven't done this yet - look for a miniature club to join in your area. You will get to know people that you immediately have something in common with. Plus clubs do monthly projects - I'll never forget an older member teaching rug punching to me 20 years ago. I still have the little rug and I'm still very proud of it :)

Take Care. Feel free to write to me. I always love to hear from you! xoxo Susan
MiniatureRoseGarden@gmail.com

Check out the new items in the shop - really good looking European faux parquet floor and more to come! Http://www.MiniatureRoseGarden.etsy.com





No comments:

Post a Comment