Monday, December 16, 2013

Home is Where You Come From, , , ,

I probably take my decorating "philosophy" from my mother. She is such an interesting woman. Always ahead of her time & a born decorator. 
She decorates in a very innate way. 
Thru her travels with my father at points around the globe, they would pick up pieces over the course of their 55 year marriage! They have bought furniture much the same way. They will choose pieces of furniture in far off places, showrooms around the world. A San Francisco showroom sends a chaise lounge home, an  Idaho artist that worked in a barn sent some very interesting tables, an artist in London who does amazing decoupage of antique pieces for the home, trunks, waste cans etc posts pieces to AZ, showrooms in New York, Paris. . . you name it . . . my mom knows it when she sees it!
Accessories are the same way. . .  wherever she sees them, as long as she loves them, art glass, bookends that are art in themselves, the elaborate front doors and gates of famous authors etc. boxes is a small obsessive collection that has only lost its 1st place position to the art glass in recent years, sets of china were a fascination for a while & with a keen eye & sharp taste, who could argue with her? We went for dinner the other night. I looked at the dish ware & then at her . . ."Ralph Lauren?" "Yes, that's right." , , ,  A simple dinner with family. 
Her tasteful collections that express their personality & good taste are displayed neatly & cleverly everywhere. It must be such a fun place to live, I think.  
Their paintings are the same way. They have the vibe of this special couple who knew each other 5 weeks before marrying! A large pink rose in the hall is from one artist while around the corner,“Blue Dog” by another accomplished artist. 
The blue dog framed & on the wall in my dad's den accompanies the first painting that my parents collected together, on the streets in Paris. Old photos in their frames are on the shelves  too
NW, my father’s initials on the table next to some unique New York art on the table adjacent to the classic black leather Charles Eames chair with accompanying ottoman. 
And the last accessory that makes this house into an exceptional home . . . books!!! My mother loves books most of all. And these are the details that add incredible personality. 
My mother did not set out to be a decorator yet her home would move & inspire the best decorating magazines. But, that was not her goal. 
She made a comfortable home for herself and her husband of now 56 years. It contains all of their memories & reflects their innate good taste. It wasn't planned. It evolved. . .  Naturally . . .  Organically . . .Beautifully.  . . In such a touching way.
I'm their daughter and I feel like I know them even better each time that I visit their home. 
My words don't do their work justice so I will hope to take pics soon. 
Xoxo Susan          Http://www.MiniatureRoseGarden.Etsy.com

1 comment:

  1. Your parents sound like they've had lots of fun on shopping trips around the world. I can't wait to see photos. Your description has really peaked my curiosity!
    Merry Christmas!
    hugs♥,
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete